February 29, 2012

Whatcha find Wednesday!

OK everyone, this is our second official Whatcha Find Wednesday.

Just the other day I swung by a family friend's home to drop off some girl scout cookies. Yes it's that time of year my friends. On my way home, I notice someone had put out a push lawnmower and a treadmill for the trash. I would have picked these up to add to our scrap pile but I happened to be driving the mom mobile, aka the van, and didn't have anywhere to put it. I also would have liked to snag a picture to show you, but I was on my way home from work and didn't have the camera with me. Sorry. So instead, I'm going to give you a little information of how these are helpful in our adventures because this is not the first time we have come across this.

Treadmills have a very important component. The motor. The motors are great for creating solar and wind turbine generator because they typically are permanent magnet DC motors. That means lots of power with little input.

The lawnmower can be used for spare parts such as nuts, bolts, blades, and more. Lenny is always fabricating something to achieve an objective of some sort, so it just nice to have around.

When we come across these items we salvage what we can and scrap the rest. Scrapping is not always pretty, especially as the pile grows. But as Lenny puts it, it's a hedge against inflation because the price for metal keeps rising along with everything else.

For more information or if you have any suggestions feel free to leave a comment or send us an e-mail at thehomesteadjones@yahoo.com. Also don't forget to send in what you find so we can show it off to everyone next week. Till next time, see you on the flip flop.

No comments:

Post a Comment